Friday, January 12, 2024

Going for Realism? An Artist's Style, Pet Portraits and Beyond

 


When I started painting 20 years ago, like most self-taught artists I aimed for realism.  I was using colored pencil back then, and realism was king.  Even after I switched to oil painting pet portraits, I aimed to copy that photo as closely as I could.

My artist friends told me I'd develop my own style with experience and of course they were right.  For instance, choice of color has changed.  I used to use an eyedropper tool to figure out EXACTLY what shade of what color I saw.

Now, more likely you'll see my favorite colors pop up!

Same with trying to be an exact copy of a photo only in oil paints.  The longer I paint, the more my brush strokes and marks become uniquely mine.  And my clients are happy with the "me" in their portrait commissions.  My website is robinzebley.com, come visit!

No comments: