Wednesday, September 16, 2009

So Many Options...so Much TIME!

I am having such a hard time organizing myself with all this time! When I worked fulltime, my art was always in a triage mode. When I was taking woodcut classes, I was always preparing for them. Then, starting last fall, I started participating in printmakers' exchanges which had strict deadlines. And I did small colored pencil projects, like the International Drawing Day entry for American Artist Magazine's forum, where I am a docent. So that pretty much ate up my available art time in the past year and a half.

I've also done a lot of non-paid commissions, where I donated a commissioned portrait for various rescues around the country. (I love doing that. I do something fun that I love and they make some money from it to help the poor dogs!)

So now I don't have to do artwork I'm obligated by classes or exchanges or commitments to do. It's almost scary!

I don't want to bite off more than I can chew and I am looking for a part time job so don't want to take formal classes because I don't know what my schedule will be like.

So I'm going to try the drop-in life drawing/painting classes at the Plastic Club and the Philadelphia Sketch Club. I know this will help me all around, and after I get settled workwise, I can worry about something more formal. It will also help with the social part of me, get me out and about.

But I am wanting to get back into shape, after 3 years of being glued to a chair all day, and I'm biking every day and walking with Otto for at least an hour a day.

I also have ordered material for new curtains in bungalow-ish prints from a cool reproduction fabric place I found online. And I have some FANTASTIC prints from pritnmakers all over the world I got from my printmaking exchanges to frame up. AND I've been sending hundreds of my dog art bookmarks to rescue groups all over the country to use at their fundraisers as a giveaway. And my website needs changing now that I'm focusing on growth. And I'm doign a portrait for my niece of her daughter that is reacquainting me with my colored pencils!

And the garden, dinner, organizing and really cleaning the house, have all been calling my name!

I'm sure it will come together. Meanwhile, I can afford to just relax, something I haven't done in 3 years since I went back to work. Thank God, I don't have to worry about my insurance...I won't even GO into that...I have mine through John, and nowadays, that's a major issue!

2 comments:

Susan said...

Hi Robin,

My name is Susan Mordigal I am a fellow cp artist, and recently started a blog - starting to learn a lot. I'm very sorry about your friend. Your work is beautiful and I just subscribed to your blog, would you mind subscribing and following mine? It is susanbethstudio.blogspot.com

Any advice you have for me would be much appreciated, thanks!

Robin said...

Hi, Susan, I just visited your site! Are you still in the Phila area? It's fun to find other cp artists locally.